The intense heat, sun exposure, and activities that come with summer can all have a negative impact on the appearance of your tattoo. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take to protect your tattoos during the summertime and ensure they look their best for years to come. So, how to protect your tattoos during summertime?
There are several simple steps you can take to protect your ink and keep it looking great all summer long. These steps include keeping your tattoos covered, using high-SPF sunscreen, avoiding chlorine and saltwater, and staying hydrated.
By taking these precautions, you can enjoy all the fun that summertime has to offer without compromising the quality of your tattoos.
In this article, we’ll explore some tips and best practices for caring for your tattoos during the summer months, from avoiding excessive sun exposure to choosing the right products to keep your tattoo healthy and vibrant.
New Tattoo And Sun Exposure- What Are The Risks Included?
There are several risks included with a new tattoo and it is exposed to sunlight. Here are a few.
- Fading: The ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun can cause the ink in a new tattoo to fade or blur, making the design less vibrant.
- Discolouration: Sun exposure can also cause the skin around a new tattoo to become discoloured, resulting in a patchy or uneven appearance.
- Infection: A new tattoo is essentially an open wound, and exposure to the sun can increase the risk of infection. Sunburn or skin damage can also delay the healing process, leaving the tattoo vulnerable to infection.
- Peeling or blistering: Sun exposure can cause the skin around a new tattoo to become dry and peel, which can lead to scabbing, cracking, or even blistering. This can cause the tattoo to become damaged and distorted.
- Increased sensitivity: A new tattoo can make the skin more sensitive, and sun exposure can exacerbate this sensitivity, causing pain or discomfort.
When Can I Expose My Tattoo To The Sun?
If you have a new tattoo, it’s important to take extra care when exposing it to the sun during summertime. Generally, you should avoid exposing your tattoo to the sun until it is fully healed, which can take several weeks. During this time, you should keep the tattoo covered and protected from the sun.
Once your tattoo is fully healed, you can start to expose it to the sun, but it’s important to take precautions to prevent damage. This is because the sun’s rays can cause fading, discolouration, and even damage to the skin around your tattoo.
To protect your tattoo during summertime, don’t forget to use a high-SPF sunscreen with a minimum of 30 SPF or higher. You should also reapply sunscreen frequently, especially after swimming or sweating. If possible, you should also try to keep your tattoo covered with lightweight, breathable clothing or accessories such as hats or scarves.
It’s also important to stay hydrated, as sun exposure can dehydrate your skin and cause it to dry out, which can damage your tattoo. Drinking plenty of water can help keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
When Can I Put Sunscreen On My Tattoo?
It is generally recommended to wait at least two weeks before applying sunscreen to a new tattoo.
During this time, the skin is still healing and may be more susceptible to irritation or infection. It is important to follow the aftercare instructions provided by your tattoo artist, which may include applying an ointment or moisturizer to the tattoo several times a day.
Once the tattoo has fully healed, you can start applying sunscreen to the area whenever you plan to be in the sun for an extended period of time.
Look for a high-SPF sunscreen that is broad-spectrum and water-resistant, and apply it generously to the tattoo and surrounding skin. Reapply the sunscreen every two hours or after swimming or sweating, as needed.
Note that while sunscreen can help protect your tattoo from the sun, it cannot completely prevent fading or other damage over time. To keep your tattoo looking its best, it is also important to avoid prolonged sun exposure and to keep the area moisturized and healthy.
How To Protect Your Tattoos During Summertime?- The Best Ways!
Now, let’s come to the main point of our topic. Here’s how you can protect the tattoo throughout the summertime.
- Sunscreen: Sunscreen is essential for protecting your tattoos during summertime. Choose a sunscreen with a high SPF and apply it generously to your tattoos before going outside. Reapply every few hours, especially if you are swimming or sweating.
- Avoid direct sunlight: Direct sunlight can fade and damage your tattoos. Try to avoid spending too much time in the sun, especially during peak hours when the sun’s rays are strongest. If you do need to be outside, find a shaded area to relax in.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help keep your skin hydrated, which is important for maintaining the vibrancy of your tattoos. Dehydrated skin can become dry and flaky, which can cause your tattoos to look dull.
- Cover your tattoo: Clothing appropriately can be an effective way to protect your tattoos from the sun. Wear light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing that covers your tattoos, especially if you will be outside for an extended period.
- Moisturize: Keeping your skin moisturized is essential for preserving your tattoos. Use a high-quality moisturizer on your tattoos after showering or swimming to help prevent dryness and cracking.
By following these tips, you can help protect your tattoos during summertime and keep them looking great for years to come.
Can I Cover Tattoos With Clothing And Accessories in Summertime?
Yes, you can. There are many options available to help conceal tattoos while still staying cool and comfortable in the heat.
Here are some of the most popular ways to cover tattoos with clothing and accessories:
- Long-sleeved tops and lightweight jackets: One of the most straightforward ways to cover a tattoo is by wearing long-sleeved tops or lightweight jackets. In the summer, you can choose thinner materials like cotton or linen to stay cool. You can also opt for sheer fabrics to add a little bit of breathability to your outfit.
- Scarves and shawls: Another option is to wear a scarf or shawl to cover your tattoo. You can wrap it around your neck, drape it over your shoulders, or tie it around your waist. This can be a stylish way to add a little bit of extra coverage to your outfit while also staying cool.
- Hats and visors: If your tattoo is on your head or face, you can cover it up with a hat or visor. This can be a great way to protect your skin from the sun while also keeping your tattoo out of sight. Baseball caps, floppy sun hats, and visors are all great options for summertime.
- High-waisted bottoms: If your tattoo is on your lower back or hip, you can cover it up with high-waisted bottoms like shorts, skirts, or pants. These will sit above your tattoo and provide some extra coverage without feeling too heavy or hot.
- Statement jewellery: Another way to draw attention away from your tattoo is to wear statement jewellery. Large earrings, chunky necklaces, and bold bracelets can all distract from your tattoo and add a fun pop of colour to your outfit.
How to Choose The Proper Sunscreen for Tattoos?
it’s important to choose a sunscreen that provides adequate protection for your skin and your tattoo. With the right sunscreen, you can help keep your tattoo looking vibrant and beautiful for years to come. Some tips on how to choose the proper sunscreen for tattoos are given below:
- Look for a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. This will provide adequate protection for your skin, especially if you have a tattoo.
- Choose a sunscreen that is labelled as “broad-spectrum.” This means it protects against both UVA and UVB rays, which can damage your tattoo and cause it to fade over time.
- If you have sensitive skin, look for a sunscreen that is free of fragrances, dyes, and other irritants. This will help prevent any irritation or allergic reactions.
- Consider using a physical sunscreen, such as one that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These types of sunscreens provide a physical barrier between your skin and the sun, which can help protect your tattoo and prevent it from fading.
- If you’re going to be in the water, make sure you choose a water-resistant sunscreen. This will help prevent the sunscreen from washing off and leaving your tattoo unprotected.
|Product Name||Key Ingredients||Why is it best for tattoo treatments?||Price range|
|Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen||Zinc oxide, titanium dioxide||Provides broad-spectrum protection, no harsh chemicals that can fade tattoos||$15-$25|
|EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46||Zinc oxide, octinoxate||Oil-free, lightweight, non-comedogenic, no artificial fragrances that can irritate skin||$30-$40|
|Banana Boat SunComfort Clear UltraMist Spray Sunscreen||Avobenzone, homosalate, octocrylene||Non-greasy, water-resistant, rubs in clear without leaving a white residue on tattoos||$10-$15|
|Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen||Avobenzone, homosalate, octisalate||Fast-absorbing, oil-free, water-resistant, suitable for sensitive skin||$10-$15|
|Badger Balm Broad Spectrum Sunscreen||Zinc oxide||Organic, all-natural ingredients, water-resistant, no synthetic fragrances or preservatives||$15-$20|
When it comes to protecting tattoos from the harmful effects of the sun, it is important to choose a sunscreen that provides broad-spectrum protection and does not contain harsh chemicals that can fade or irritate the skin.
Ultimately, the choice of sunscreen depends on individual preferences and needs, but any of the suggested options can help keep tattoos looking their best while preventing sun damage.
Additional Tips to Prevent Tattoo Fading Maintain Tattoo Vibrancy
Tattoos are a beautiful art form, but they are also a significant investment in both time and money. So it is essential to maintain the vibrancy and prevent fading of your tattoo during the summertime. Here are some tips to help you preserve your tattoos:
- Avoid Water exposure: Water can also fade your tattoos, so try to avoid swimming, hot tubs, and long showers during the summer. If you must be in the water, cover your tattoo with a waterproof bandage to protect it.
- Keep the Tattoo Moisturized: Moisturize your tattoo regularly to keep it hydrated and healthy. Use a gentle, fragrance-free lotion or tattoo-specific moisturizer to keep your tattoo looking its best. Avoid lotions with alcohol, which can dry out your skin and lead to fading.
- Don’t Expose your tattoo to Direct Sunlight: Direct sunlight can be harmful to tattoos, so avoid exposing your tattoo to direct sunlight as much as possible. If you’re planning on spending time outside, wear clothing that covers your tattoo or use a sun umbrella or shade.
- Avoid Scratching and Picking: Scratching and picking at your tattoo can damage the skin and cause fading. If your tattoo is itchy or uncomfortable, apply a cold compress or take an anti-inflammatory medication to reduce the discomfort.
- Follow the Aftercare Instructions: Always follow the aftercare instructions provided by your tattoo artist. They know best how to care for your specific tattoo to keep it looking its best.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is it important to protect tattoos during summertime?
Summertime usually involves a lot of sun exposure, which can lead to fading, discolouration, and other damage to tattoos. It is important to take steps to protect your tattoos from the harmful effects of the sun, water, and other outdoor elements.
Can tanning beds damage tattoos?
Yes, tanning beds can be harmful to tattoos as they emit UV rays that can cause fading and discolouration. It is best to avoid tanning beds altogether, but if you must use one, cover your tattoos with clothing or a bandage.
What should I do if I notice any damage to my tattoo?
If you notice any signs of damage to your tattoo, such as fading, discolouration, or irritation, it is important to seek professional advice from your tattoo artist or a dermatologist. They can recommend the best course of action, which may include touch-ups, laser treatments, or other interventions.
Protecting your tattoos during summertime is crucial to ensure their longevity and vibrancy. It is important to keep your tattoos out of direct sunlight, avoid soaking them in water and moisturize them regularly with sunscreen or after-sun lotion.
By following these simple steps, you can enjoy your tattoos for years to come, without compromising their beauty and quality. So, take good care of your tattoos and enjoy the summer without worrying about any damage to them.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?