How to Safely Remove Stick and Poke Tattoos: DIY and Professional Methods
Have you ever had your dream stick and poke tattoo only to regret having it later? Or what about having a tattoo done in the wrong way? Nobody wants to show off a tattoo they do not like. The only solution open to them is getting rid of it.
There are several ways to get rid of a stick and poke tattoo. Salabrasion, lemon juice, honey, and aloe vera, and sand can be used to remove a stick and poke tattoo. You can also have it gone with laser treatments and other professional methods of tattoo removal.
In this article, we will explore how to safely remove stick and poke tattoos using DIY and professional methods.
The Risks and Benefits of DIY Methods
DIY methods for removing stick and poke tattoos are popular because they are affordable and can be done at home. However, these methods come with potential health risks and may not be as effective as professional treatments. It’s important to understand the risks and benefits before attempting any DIY tattoo removal methods.
Here are some of the risks associated with DIY tattoo removal methods:
- Pain: DIY methods like salabrasion, lemon juice, and sanding can be painful and may cause scarring or infection.
- Ineffective: DIY methods may not be as effective as professional treatments, and it may take several attempts to see results.
- Infection: DIY methods may increase the risk of infection, especially if proper sterilization techniques are not followed.
- Scarring: Improper use of DIY methods may result in scarring or other permanent damage to the skin.
On the other hand, there are some benefits to DIY tattoo removal methods:
- Affordability: DIY methods are typically more affordable than professional treatments.
- Convenience: DIY methods can be done at home and at the user’s convenience.
- Privacy: DIY methods allow for privacy and may be preferred for personal or sensitive tattoos.
Overall, DIY methods may be a good option for those on a tight budget or who prefer to remove their tattoos in private. However, it’s important to understand the risks and limitations of DIY methods before attempting them.
The Risks and Benefits of Professional Methods
Professional methods of tattoo removal are typically more effective than DIY methods and involve less risk of complications. However, they are also more expensive and may require multiple sessions. It is important to weigh the risks and benefits before choosing a professional method of tattoo removal.
Here are some of the risks associated with professional tattoo removal methods:
- Cost: Professional methods of tattoo removal can be expensive, especially if multiple sessions are required.
- Pain: Professional methods of tattoo removal may be painful, and local anesthesia may be required.
- Scarring: Professional methods may also result in scarring or other permanent damage to the skin.
- Recovery time: Recovery time may be required between sessions, and some methods may require longer recovery times than others.
Here are some of the benefits of professional tattoo removal methods:
- Effectiveness: Professional methods of tattoo removal are typically more effective than DIY methods and may require fewer sessions.
- Safety: Professional methods of tattoo removal are typically safer than DIY methods and carry less risk of complications.
- Guidance: Professional tattoo removal clinics provide guidance and support throughout the process, reducing the risk of complications and ensuring proper aftercare.
Overall, professional methods of tattoo removal may be a better option for those willing to spend more money and prioritize safety and effectiveness over convenience.
DIY Methods for Removing Stick and Poke Tattoos
If you choose to remove your stick and poke tattoo using DIY methods, it’s important to do so safely and effectively. Here are some DIY methods for removing stick and poke tattoos:
It is the method that requires you to rub off your tattoo using salt. The process is painful as you have to scrub your epidermis layer and get into the dermis, the location of the tattoo ink. Here is how you can remove your tattoo:
- Clean the tattoo area first. Then take some cotton gauze and dip it into water mixed with salt. Afterward, scrub your skin with it.
- Alternatively, you can also use salt crystals to rub your skin. Do that for half an hour.
- After you finish scrubbing, you will see open wounds on the tattooed skin. Apply antiseptics there to prevent infections.
2. Lemon Juice
You might have seen people trying to get rid of black spots applying lemon juice on their skin. It works as a bleaching agent, which can remove the stick and poke tattoos. But it is a lengthy process. You will not get results before two months.
- Rub some lemon juice onto your tattooed body part with some cotton gauze. You can make the juice out of fresh lemons or grab some from a nearby supermarket.
- Let it fully dry before wiping it off. Do it four to five times on the same day.
- You will see your tattoo starting to become lighter within a couple of weeks before it is entirely gone.
- You can also use some salt with lemon juice to scrub your tat off.
Just like Salabrasion, you can also apply sand to get rid of your stick and poke tattoo, an equally painful method. You need to scrub your tattooed skin using sand so that the ink bleeds out manually from your dermis layer.
- Get sandpaper and sanding powder. You can also use cloth instead of sandpaper.
- Scrub for half an hour after cleaning the area. Use antiseptics or take antibiotics to prevent any kind of infection.
- It will take several sanding to generate noticeable changes.
4. Honey And Aloe Vera
Natural ingredients like aloe vera and honey have a good reputation for fading stick and poke tattoos effectively at home. You can apply them individually or paste them together before applying.
It will not give you instant progress, but it is painless. The fading will start within a month, as the lemon juice method.
Professional Methods for Removing Stick and Poke Tattoos
Most people get the stick and poke tattoos at home, following not-so-healthy processes that have high exposure to risks of allergies, cross-contamination, infections, and other health issues. So, people also try DIY methods to get rid of their tattoos. And they are not harmful at all.
However, it is highly recommended that you get tattoos from professional tattoo artists. They are aware of the health issues and sterilize their equipment before making a tattoo. Similarly it is also recommended to go to a professional for removing a tattoo.
If you choose professional methods, there are several options available. Here are some professional methods for removing stick and poke tattoos:
Excision is a surgical method of tattoo removal that involves cutting out the tattooed skin and stitching the surrounding skin back together. The procedure is typically done under local anesthesia and may require several sessions to completely remove the tattoo. Excision is most effective for small tattoos and may result in scarring.
Dermabrasion involves using a special tool to “sand” away the top layers of skin, including the tattoo ink. Dermabrasion is effective for removing tattoos with deep ink, but may cause scarring and may not be suitable for all skin types.
3. Laser Tattoo Removal
Laser tattoo removal involves using a laser to break down the ink particles in the skin. The laser penetrates the skin and targets the ink particles, which are then absorbed by the body’s immune system and eliminated naturally. The procedure is typically done under local anesthesia and may require multiple sessions to completely remove the tattoo, depending on the size and complexity of the tattoo.
Laser tattoo removal is effective and relatively safe, but may cause some side effects such as redness, swelling, and blistering. It’s important to choose a reputable laser tattoo removal clinic and to follow proper aftercare instructions for safe and effective healing.
Tips for Safe and Effective Tattoo Removal
Regardless of the method you choose, there are some tips you should follow to ensure safe and effective tattoo removal:
- Consult with a professional: It’s always best to consult with a professional before attempting any DIY tattoo removal methods or choosing a professional method.
- Follow proper aftercare: Aftercare is essential for safe and effective tattoo removal. Follow the aftercare instructions provided by your tattoo removal specialist or follow best practices for DIY methods.
- Protect your skin: Protect the tattooed area from the sun and avoid wearing tight clothing that can rub against the area.
- Be patient: Tattoo removal takes time, whether you choose DIY or professional methods. Be patient and follow the instructions carefully for best results.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many sessions are typically required for laser tattoo removal?
That depends on some factors. But on average, you might need 7 to 10 sessions to remove your stick and poke tattoo. The factors for determining the number of sessions are the color of the tattoo ink, how long you have had the tattoo, and if you have any health condition. An expert is better suited here to handle your situation and make the procedure safe for you.
Is It Costly To Remove A Stick And Poke Tattoo?
If you want to get rid of your tattoo professionally, you can go for the surgical methods. They are less expensive than dermabrasion and laser. Their prices vary as per the tattoo size, area, and how many sessions are required. Tattoo removal clinics in your area should give you an estimate of each method.
How can I prevent scarring after removing a stick and poke tattoo?
To prevent scarring, it is important to follow aftercare instructions carefully, keep the area clean and dry, avoid picking at scabs or peeling skin, and avoid exposing the area to the sun until it has fully healed.
Can stick and poke tattoos be covered up with another tattoo?
Yes, it is possible to cover up a stick and poke tattoo with another tattoo. However, it is important to choose a design that is large and dark enough to fully cover the existing tattoo, and to work with a skilled tattoo artist who has experience with cover-up tattoos.
What is the cost of removing a stick and poke tattoo?
The cost of removing a stick and poke tattoo depends on various factors, such as the size and location of the tattoo, the method of removal, and the provider’s fees. Laser tattoo removal can cost anywhere from $200 to $500 per session, while excision and dermabrasion may be more expensive.
Does removing a stick and poke tattoo hurt?
The process of removing a stick and poke tattoo can be painful, especially with laser tattoo removal and dermabrasion. However, some methods may be less painful than others, and numbing cream or local anesthesia can be used to reduce discomfort.
What should I look for in a tattoo removal specialist?
When choosing a tattoo removal specialist, it is important to look for someone who is licensed and experienced in tattoo removal, uses safe and effective methods, and has positive reviews and recommendations from previous clients. It is also important to ask about their fees and aftercare instructions.
How to get rid of a stick and poke in one day?
It is not possible to completely get rid of a stick and poke tattoo in one day. Methods such as laser tattoo removal and excision require multiple sessions over a period of several weeks or months to fully remove a tattoo. Attempting to remove a stick and poke tattoo in one day can be dangerous and can cause scarring, infection, or other complications. It is important to seek professional help from a licensed dermatologist or tattoo removal specialist and follow their recommended treatment plan for safe and effective tattoo removal.
Removing a stick and poke tattoo can be a challenging and sometimes painful process. While there are several DIY methods available, they come with potential health risks and may not be as effective as professional treatments. It’s important to weigh the risks and benefits and consult with a professional before attempting any DIY methods or choosing a professional method. Remember to follow proper aftercare and protect your skin throughout the process.
Hopefully, the article was helpful. Good luck getting your tattoo removed!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?